About Me

My photo
I shoot photos and videos of mostly outdoor and lifestyle. I love to fish so the main focus of that of fishing. I run a website called Saltyshores.com and use it to share my adventures through life. Hope you enjoy my blog.

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Tampa Tailing Redfish on Fly

Oct 6th 2009

By Sam Root of Saltyshores.com

Today I got out with Captain Brian Epperson. Brian invited me to go scouting with him this morning for tailing reds in home waters of TampaBay. Since I still owe him some money still from the Alaska trip I do believe that's the real reason he wanted to meet up. :)

Brian put us on tailing reds right away. They were happy and feeding on glass minnows which was all over the place. Since I forgot my Loop 8wt at home I used the Gloomis 8wt that was on the boat. On my 2nd shot at the pod of tailers I hooked up to a nice 27" redfish. My fly line got tangled but thankfully it went through the guides as the fish made the run during the fight.

We had another fish on shortly but since it was his wife's birthday today we called it early. As soon as the tailers left the flats so did we. I made my way home and stopped by Jimbo's BBQ, one of the oldest and best BBQ place in Tampa Bay. Ribs/Chicken combo with coleslaw, beans, hush puppies for $10.00 a very filling lunch that is for sure.

The photos of the tailing reds due to their spooky nature(couldn't get close enough) and overcast skies didn't turn out the way I wanted. To make it look more artsy I used a built in filter provided by photobucket.com (the website I host my photos on) to make it look like a sketch. It came out alright. We at least it looks better than the unedited version.












Followers

Search This Blog